Too many ideas?

• 15 posts
    June 18, 2016 6:27 AM EDT
    Do you find that you have too many story ideas? I do. Even in the hospital, I had brought a notebook and pen, I started yet another story. I can't help it that the mind works on these things so I end up with several ideas down.

I've got one book in my second edit run. Another ready to publish. Several more ideas partially started.

When you get ideas, and I know you jot them down, do you just jot down the basics or do you start out the story a bit? I tend to start it out a bit so that a lot of the idea, while it's hot, gets down. I figure that I can continue it later when I finish one. Having a "starter story" seems to help me get into the book again when I'm ready to.

So, how do you work yours?

#writing
    #author
    • 1 posts
    June 18, 2016 6:00 PM EDT
    I get too many as well. Little things inspire me everywhere, and I start thinking, which is apparently a bad habit of mineI find that I get the opening paragraph in my head right away, so I'll jot that down to start the scene, and then put down specifics and ideas behind it, that way I can remember whatever I was thinking of. My notepad in my phone is littered with half finished notes that I've jotted to myself while out and about, or just before I'm getting to sleep.
  • June 27, 2016 11:15 PM EDT
    This is absolutely true for me. I get too many ideas and they often direct my focus from something that should have my attention. It gets so bad that I burn out and can't write anything, which has been a recent issue of mine. I have a bunch of stories in my head and each one is fighting for dominance, so now none of them get done lol.
    • 15 posts
    June 28, 2016 10:13 AM EDT

[blockquote]Adrienne Lewis said:

This is absolutely true for me. I get too many ideas and they often direct my focus from something that should have my attention. It gets so bad that I burn out and can't write anything, which has been a recent issue of mine. I have a bunch of stories in my head and each one is fighting for dominance, so now none of them get done lol.

[/blockquote]

I've taken to forcing myself to work on the main one first and then see which other one gets a little attention.
    • 41 posts
    February 15, 2023 11:21 AM EST

I find I have more ideas when I'm reading more at the time.  In other words, if I'm not immersed in a book and I'm doing most of the typical life "grind", then I'm less likely to be inspired to write.  My goal this year is to virtual clean the clutter in my life, so inspiration comes easier like it used too. 

@Donna B said:

I've taken to forcing myself to work on the main one first and then see which other one gets a little attention.

I like Donna's plan, as well, and meanwhile, when I have ideas pop up in my head, I'm going to do a better job of either writing them down the old fashioned way or setting up a word document just for ideas.