eBook or Traditional Print?

• 15 posts
    February 27, 2014 3:09 PM EST
    From the Literary Social blog the question was asked whether you prefer eBook format or traditional print.

I wanted to explore that topic here on Literary Social so here it is! Please provide your feedback.

I prefer traditional print most of the time. Novels I want to hold in my hand and have in my bookcase. Short stories are fine in e-format.

#publishing
    • 1 posts
    September 5, 2014 8:04 PM EDT
    It depends. For me, I have certain authors that I will ALWAYS buy the print books for. But I have to admit that even then, ebooks are incredibly convenient and space savers. I have a massive OneDrive that holds my thousands of ebooks, most are copies of books I have in print. They're just easier to "go" with them on one tiny ereader that holds 6,000 books.

I think it honestly depends on whether you want your writing to be showcased on a shelf and cherished or easily portable and cheaper to get it in the hands of more readers quicker. However, I can't think of a single book I read as a $0.99 ebook on sale from Amazon that I'd actually go and re-read. There are just too many sales and too many distractions in the ebook world. But my series, I re-read them constantly, over and over until the pages are worn, bindings are falling apart, and I need to replace them. The're definitely cherished and aren't "throw aways" to me like most ebooks are.

For myself, I chose to publish my books as traditional print that were then adapted for ebooks as well. It meant I got to have the ones on my bookcase to show off, and sign ones for family and friends to know they were cherished, but also was able to share with people who may be interested online and get direct critiques and feedback straight away. But the ones who got them online, I don't expect to buy any future ones or actually become long term readers. It was just the book of the moment, easy to grab and easy to toss or delete when done.
  • September 20, 2014 9:41 PM EDT
    Similar as Mandi. There is something very sensual about holding a book in your hands. Laying it upon your chest as you imagine being in that time and place. There are specific authors whose books I will always buy in paper. Others that are a whim or for research are fine in ebook.
    • 41 posts
    February 17, 2023 11:12 AM EST

Traditional print, though having the option out there for both would be nice, because some people love their iPads rather then books.  For me, love the classical vibe of holding a book when reading a story.