Writing Critiques

• 15 posts
    September 21, 2014 5:30 AM EDT
    I totally suck at writing critiques. I'm always afraid to hurt someone's feelings. How to you all approach writing a critique? Do you just go balls to the wall and write it as you see it? Do you instead try to sugar coat in order not to hurt feelings? Do you want critiques of your work or do you not handle them well?

I want critiques of mine because I want to be published and so I need that feedback in order to make sure not to make an ass of myself by submitting something horrible. I have won poetry awards in the past and those were in books but I don't consider myself "published" just with those two. I want a novel published.

I've read some great things here and some that needed editing. I've been afraid to post any tips yet though as I don't really know anyone that's joined lately and whether they are open to critiques. I guess, if you are open to honest critiques, you could just post here or post for a critique request in that section of the forum and put a link to your story or blog that you've posted here. That would let everyone know that you want some feedback.
    • 1 posts
    September 24, 2014 4:08 PM EDT
    For me, I would rather have someone tell me that I'd made a mistake or that something needs tweaked early on. Than to have something polished, finished, and realize that it's either no good, or needs a lot of work. Or, worst of all, that it could be great but I got lost somewhere in the middle and no one told me. Whenever people ask for my opinion, I give it. They can take it or leave it, but I know when I hit "post" that I've done my best to help from a reader's standpoint.

The worst feeling in the world is sugar coating to not hurt someone's feelings, knowing that if they ever do submit it to a publishing house, they're in for a world of tears and hurt, because everyone told them it was SO good. I try to put myself in that position. I'd feel terrible, and know that my friends and family were just being "nice". I'd be afraid of writing anything again.

No, for me, it's best to aways be nice, but honest. That way if the writer chooses not to look objectively at your advice, then they know that there are issues but they are making the choice to not work on them and leave the WIP as it is. If I'm posting something here on Literary Social, or really, any type of public forum, then I welcome honest feedback. Otherwise I'd keep it in a diary under my bed.
    • 41 posts
    February 11, 2023 7:17 PM EST

I appreciate when people tell me I have an error or something that I need to fix, or even suggest how I might write a sentence in a better presentation.

If I was to critique someone's work, I'd simply use the "sandwich close" method that's commonly used in sales:

https://fellow.app/blog/feedback/the-feedback-sandwich-should-you-use-it-pros-and-cons/

I would compliment the author, critique, then compliment in closing in writing my response of my impression of their work.

I'm also fine with that method used on my writing. Everyone wants to do well, but in reality, we all deeply realize that comments are always helpful and if they are shared correctly, we can take the comments and criticisms in which the spirit they were shared which was to be helpful.

This post was edited by Tiffany B at February 11, 2023 9:28 PM EST