Forums » General Writing Discussions

Too many ideas?

• 2 posts
    June 18, 2016 6:27 AM EDT
    Do you find that you have too many story ideas? I do. Even in the hospital, I had brought a notebook and pen, I started yet another story. I can't help it that the mind works on these things so I end up with several ideas down.

I've got one book in my second edit run. Another ready to publish. Several more ideas partially started.

When you get ideas, and I know you jot them down, do you just jot down the basics or do you start out the story a bit? I tend to start it out a bit so that a lot of the idea, while it's hot, gets down. I figure that I can continue it later when I finish one. Having a "starter story" seems to help me get into the book again when I'm ready to.

So, how do you work yours?

#writing
    #author
  • June 18, 2016 6:00 PM EDT
    I get too many as well. Little things inspire me everywhere, and I start thinking, which is apparently a bad habit of mine :) I find that I get the opening paragraph in my head right away, so I'll jot that down to start the scene, and then put down specifics and ideas behind it, that way I can remember whatever I was thinking of. My notepad in my phone is littered with half finished notes that I've jotted to myself while out and about, or just before I'm getting to sleep. :)
  • June 27, 2016 11:15 PM EDT
    This is absolutely true for me. I get too many ideas and they often direct my focus from something that should have my attention. It gets so bad that I burn out and can't write anything, which has been a recent issue of mine. I have a bunch of stories in my head and each one is fighting for dominance, so now none of them get done lol.
    • 2 posts
    June 28, 2016 10:13 AM EDT

[blockquote]Adrienne Lewis said:

This is absolutely true for me. I get too many ideas and they often direct my focus from something that should have my attention. It gets so bad that I burn out and can't write anything, which has been a recent issue of mine. I have a bunch of stories in my head and each one is fighting for dominance, so now none of them get done lol.

[/blockquote]

I've taken to forcing myself to work on the main one first and then see which other one gets a little attention.